Saturday, April 16, 2005

MLS in San Antonio?

AP is reporting that MLS and the city of San Antonio reached an agreement to bring a professional soccer team to the city as early as in 2006!

"The MLS has agreed to grant San Antonio a team if an ownership group is secured, 5,000 season tickets are sold by Aug. 17 and plans are completed for construction of a training complex that includes youth soccer fields.
"As one of the country's fastest-growing and most diverse cities, MLS is convinced that San Antonio is an ideal home for a Major League Soccer club,'' MLS commissioner Don Garber said.
Garber said the 12-team league is in discussions with several possible ownership groups. As part of the agreement, the city has agreed to provide a stadium. The deal grants the team rights to all ticket sales and certain sponsorship and stadium signage sales."

That would be so cool! I won't commit to a season ticket right now but I'll definitely be down for some games! I could imagine that derbys against intrastate rival FC Dallas would be very interesting! I've been wondering where they would play since I've never seen a soccer stadium in town, until I read in the Houston Chronicle that the idle Alamo Dome (capacity: 65,000) is the planned venue. Good thing they won't convert a Baseball-Stadium like they did the other way around in Washington. The citys mayor Ed Garca had a key role in bringing Major Leauge Soccer to town. He's a very active soccer player on a local team. I'm wondering where... I'll keep you updated on MLS in SA....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home