Sunday, May 08, 2005

Playoffs Picks, Conference Semis

Finally I am able to make this entry! I have been wanting to post my picks all week but had to push this column back every time certain series advanced to another game. First I will recap my First Round picks: (the actual result in brackets)

MEM PHO 1-4 (0-4)
DEN SAS 2-4 (1-4)
SAC SEA 2-4 (1-4)
HOU DAL 3-4 (3-4)
NJN MIA 0-4 (0-4)

PHI DET 0-4 (0-4)
IND BOS 4-3 (4-3)
WAS CHI 4-2 (4-2)

My entire pick of the Eastern Conference was a slam dunk! Damn, shoulda put in some money in Vegas... And of course my insticts were right about the Houston - Dallas series. I just knew it would happen, with the history of Mavs 7-Gamers. In three other series I was only one game shy of the perfect score. So my overall record for the First Round is: 8-0, including 5 series nailed.

On to the picks for the Conference Semifinals:

Dallas Mavericks VS Phoenix Suns (2-4)
Sorry Dallas, but you just can't hang with Phonix for more than six games. The fun thing to watch will be, that Mark Cuban will get blasted in the media for every single field goal, assist, rebound and clutch play MVP Steve Nash will do. And it's not even Cubans fault, because I think Nash wouldn't have had the same terrific season had he stayed in Dallas. Sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders. I also expect Dirk Nowitzki to have a fairly better series than against the Rockets. It just hurt to watch him struggle in every single game, missing shots he hit blindfolded in the Regular Season. But he was huge on the defensive end in the crucial Game 7. But the true MVP of that series was Jason Terry, his 3-Point shooting was just out of this world! If the Mavs are able to win their first two home games we might have an interesting series but I think Phoenix will steal Game 6 on the road.

Seattle Supersonics VS San Antonio Spurs (1-4)
Actually I was more set on a 2-4, but after the impressive maner the Spurs kind of swept the Nuggets I don't expect them to give up more than one game to Seattle. Right now I'm really confident and see good things happening to them when they advance deeper into the postseason. I didn't say much about the Spurs on this blog after their wins because there wasn't much to be said about their fabolous play. Man was Manu Ginobili huge!

Washington Wizards VS Miami Heat (1-4)
There was one funny moment after the Wizs won Game 6 against Chicago: They unveiled t-shirts celebrating their advancement to the 2nd Round and they read something like Round 2: Beat the Heat. I have never seen a team celebrate the 2nd Round that much! But I understand their enthusiam, this is a franchise that hasn't won shit in the last 20 years. Still I'm not really sure if they can steal one game from the Heat, but maybe Shaq und Flash will have an off day once. I don't know why everyone in Miami is so pissed about Shaq not winning MVP. I am convinced the true MVP of this team is Dwyane Wade! He really carries the team in crunch time and plays with the heart of a warrior.

Indiana Pacers VS Detroit Pistons (2-4)
This is the post-brawl matchup everyone has been waiting for. Somehow it was gift-night at Raise The Game so I'm giving the Pacers two games, I just don't know right now how they will win them. Detroit manhandled them last year in the playoffs (Remember that Tayshaun block?). The way Indiana fought against Boston impressed me, especially that blowout in Game 7. Still Detroit has the better end of this.

In summary you will see, that my picks are setting up the Conference Finals everyone has been waiting for the entire year: Phoenix vs. San Antonio and Detroit vs. Miami. Really sort of a Final Four Tournament, the four best teams of the year battling out the championship.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger s said...

hi johnnyy! how's it going? =D sorry i have been very bad about replying your emails =S. Nothing much going on tho, just assignments, revision, assignments, revision and more revision =( i'm sure you're having a better time than I am!

see you around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home